Few people accept the challenges and risks that we as entrepreneurs do. As a result few are privileged enough to live the life of an entrepreneur. We live and work surrounded by creativity, innovation, challenges and passion. Some years ago we called that world we live in ‘entrepreneurcountry’. To most, what we do is a mystery, but for those privileged citizens who make the journey to live in ‘entrepreneurcountry’ it is a lifetime of highs and lows, but we would have it no other way; being an entrepreneur is part of our DNA. On any journey one requires support and guidance; and so in 2008 entrepreneurcountry was born. We are on our own journey, but this ensures that we know and understand how to help yours.
Entrepreneurs need a powerful voice, to represent their interests and to lobby to put business building at the top of the national agenda. entrepreneurcountry needs you to be its next generation of citizens. We want you to actively engage in your community and use it to forge partnerships, build bridges and connect with like-minded individuals. Some of our members are at the very start of their journey, some are at the end and some have made the journey many times before but keep coming back for more. We will strive to empower all our citizens, offering guidance, resources and opportunities to take you and your business further. We want to project your voice and to promote your ideas and interests.
For those taking part in entrepreneurcountry for the first time, you may not have seen our latest community tools but I hope that you find them useful, be it through our twice-annual Forums, our quarterly Better Business workshops or our monthly EC Masterclasses. Apart from our community events we also offer you the www.entrepreneurcountry.com website, your daily source of information, news and resources for the entrepreneur on the go, our weekly EC Digest and our brand new monthly e-zine Better Business which showcases the latest news, views and interviews.
Our work is supported by a group of fantastic partner organisations who share our vision and values. They are industry leaders with a proven track record of helping entrepreneurs reach their objectives and we have the greatest pride in endorsing their services and commitment to entrepreneurcountry. We at entrepreneurcountry subscribe to a series of beliefs contained in our manifesto. If you share these beliefs, then you’re probably already one of us. If you haven’t joined us yet then, we’d like to welcome you onboard.
- That Leaders are those people who create trust in society and their businesses, and that trust is efficient. Success is forged through competition and human greatness is possible precisely because people are not the same and they have the option to choose whether they want to lead or follow.
- That the Entrepreneur creates intellectual and financial wealth through which the entire society benefits and progresses, and so entrepreneurs and their teams should be richly rewarded for taking the risks that they do (and which the rest of society chooses not to but from which it still benefits).
- Government’s fundamental role in delivering sustainable employment and economic growth is not as an employer but as the creator of frameworks and platforms which foster and speed innovation, enabling new industries and markets to emerge
- Successful entrepreneurs of hyper growth companies are a subset of entrepreneurs who are a subsector of a strong citizenry who take full accountability for their lives and understand not only their rights but their total responsibilities.
- That fair and equal access to government and big business procurement processes for SMEs is a key component of a dynamic economy that delivers more real, sustainable wealth creation through entrepreneurship
- That successful entrepreneurs cite common factors that shape their unique drive, self-belief and desire to create and contribute at every stage in life – education, travel, opportunities to test what they can do as individuals, learning how to sell early in life, strong teachers, business role models, parents and mentors who honestly encouraged them to be everything they could be.
- That it is still counter-cultural to be an entrepreneur in the UK and Europe but it is no longer a niche activity or aspiration; the emergence of serial entrepreneurs and the impact of their wealth and experience is felt in their backing of the next generation of entrepreneurs.
- That early stage venture capital now has two distinct areas - early early stage venture capital, and late early stage venture capital. The only people who do and can do the former exquisitely well are entrepreneurs backing other entrepreneurs.
- That world leading firms can just as easily come out of the UK and Europe as well as anywhere else in the world. Historically, UK and European entrepreneurs haven’t played on the global stage; not because they are inferior, but because they come from a culture that encourages them not to expect success. This is changing and must change further still.
- That the financing of entrepreneurship has not kept pace with the high quality and achievements of entrepreneurs in the UK and Europe.
- That the triple play of the internet, entrepreneurship, and individual capitalism is an unstoppable force around the world, and that Individual Capitalism is the force that will shape the 21st Century.
- That Talent flocks to great opportunities, and as those companies grow, leaders should have the flexibility to make the right decisions about talent in the firm – not everyone can or needs to make it from start to finish in a start-up, not even the founders.
- That great people have great ideas and build great teams, and that capital always backs great people with great ideas who build great teams – always has, and always will.
- That each one of us has a unique contribution to make to the world. It is our responsibility to determine what that is, and to make it.
- That we are a small group today in entrepreneurcountry who understand and believe these statements, and that these will dictate the future success of the UK and Europe.
Please email your endorsement of the manifesto to email@example.com.